Howdy! Here is my Escarole Soup recipe. This is the Italian version with meatballs, chicken and noodles. Read: This is the RIGHT way! (haha!)
Escarole Soup Ingredients
- 70-75 miniature meatballs (recipe follows)
- 1lb Chicken, cooked and shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 Tbsp EVOO
- 1 Cup Carrot, chopped
- 1 Cup Celery, chopped
- 1 Cup Onion, chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic, chopped
- 4 Quarts of Chicken Stock (I use 2 regular and 2 unsalted)
- 1 Cup shredded Pecorino Romano Cheese (I love Locatelli Brand)
- 1 Large Head of Escarole, chopped
- 2 tsp Salt, more to taste
- 1 Tbsp Pepper, more to taste
- 8 Ounces dry Acini Di Pepe Pasta
- 1 1/2 pounds of meatloaf mix (pork, beef, veal)
- 1 Cup Italian Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup shredded Pecorino Romano Cheese (I love Locatelli Brand)
- 3 Tbsp Onion, finely chopped (I process mine to quasi-liquify since I hate the chunks in meatballs)
- 1 Large Egg, mixed with a fork
- 1 Tbsp EVOO
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 4 tsp dried Parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- If you haven’t prepped your chicken ahead of time, go ahead and get that started first. I simply boil mine then shred it. If you don’t have a kitchen scale, 3 breasts is about 1 1/2 lbs raw chicken. That will yield you the 1lb shredded you’ll need once it’s cooked and the fat bits are tossed.
- Make those meatballs! Preheat your oven to 400ºF. In a large bowl, stir cheese into the Panko. Next stir in the milk. Add in the meat, onion, garlic, egg, EVOO, Parsley, Oregano, Basil, Salt and Pepper. Mix well with your hands – it’s the best way! Roll meatballs into small balls using a generous teaspoon for each ball. (I use a small 2 tsp cookie scoop. You will get around 75 miniature meatballs from 1 1/2 pounds of meat. Bake the meatballs on a cookie sheet 12-15 minutes. Set aside.
- Grab a large stock pot – at least 8 quarts. Add the EVOO to the pot and heat it over medium heat. Saute your carrots, garlic, onion and celery for around 5-10 minutes to get them started.
- Add the 4 Quarts of stock to the pot and cook 10 minutes to soften up your veggies. Next, add those (pre-cooked) meatballs and the (pre-cooked and shredded) chicken and return the pot to a simmer. Now add in the Romano Cheese, Salt, Pepper and Escarole then simmer 5 minutes more to bring it all to temperature.
- Lastly, add the dry pasta to the pot and cook till the pasta is tender.
This serves 12 and clocks in at just under 400 calories per 2 – 2 1/2 cup serving). Click here to see the full nutrition stats. I hope you enjoy. Come back and rate it if you try this recipe. 🙂
Stay crafty my friends,